Go Stronger, Longer
Leader in sports medicine products and methods
RockTape helps athletes “go stronger, longer” with the world’s strongest brand of kinesiology tape.
What is RockTape?
Unlike traditional athletic tape that binds and doesn’t stretch, ROCKTAPE is engineered to mimic the human skin. This stretchiness is the secret behind ROCKTAPE. ROCKTAPE stretches up to 180% of its original length but has amazing ‘snap-back’ or recovery. This is what gives ROCKTAPE its performance advantage over other tapes. ROCKTAPE can be used in a variety of ways to achieve different benefits: When RockTape is applied with little or no stretch on the tape but lots of stretch on the tissue it causes the skin to form convolutions and wrinkle. This creates a bio-mechanical lifting mechanism that decompresses the tissue just under the skin. It is believed that this decompression and having tape on our skin creates 3 main effects:
- Fluid Effect: By causing decompression the tape promotes a more normal fluid dynamic in the taped area. Swelling is better able to flow out of the area, taking with it toxins which result from inflammation and injury. Also blood has less resistance to enter the area bringing with it more oxygen and nutrients vital for healing and recovery. This fluid effect is probably behind the dramatic improvement in swollen and bruised tissue that is often seen when Rocktape is applied.
- Mechanical Effect: As pressure on the vertical layer cake of tissue between skin and bone is reduced more normal slide and glide mechanics between the layers of tissue is restored. It is likely that this is the mechanism that can make someone who can only bend as far as their knees touch their toes in an instant!
- Neurological Effect: A lot of pain generated by movement or muscle contraction is generated by nerve endings in the space between the skin and muscle. As tape decompresses this space there is less pressure on these nerve endings so is reduced or stopped completely at its source. Having elastic tape stuck to your skin is also believed to stimulate receptors within the skin called Mechanoreceptors. These receptors play a part in our movement awareness, or what therapists call Proprioception. Many therapists believe that one of the main effects of applying ROCKTAPE is to improve our Proprioception, which can both decrease pain and improve the way we move.
When ROCKTAPE is applied with more stretch it can be used to support areas where tissue has been strained, torn, weakened or lengthened. By adding more elastic recoil to the taped area, functional stability and tissue ‘snapback’ are enhanced.
What does RockTape do?
The exact mechanisms and pathways through which kinesiology tape works remains uncertain and a matter of debate. See our ‘What is ROCKTAPE’ section on the left for more details. ROCKTAPE is commonly used by athletes and health professionals to help with a wide variety of musculo-skeletal and sporting injuries and to achieve the following:
- Reduce swelling, pain and tightness and stiffness.
- Delay onset of muscle fatigue and cramp
How does it work? When applied properly, ROCKTAPE lifts the skin away from the muscle, which promotes positive changes in the bodies fluid, mechanical and neurological systems. Commonly people wearing Rocktape report less pain, swelling and tightness, greater awareness of the area and later onset of fatigue. Is it difficult to apply? Not at all. If you can apply tape, you can apply ROCKTAPE. There are instructions in every box and more than a dozen HD instructional videos can be viewed here. Depending on which bit of your body needs tape you may need someone else to help you. How long will it last? ROCKTAPE can be worn up to 7 days. It is 100% organic cotton and can be worn while swimming or in the shower. (See our USERGUIDE for more info on looking after your tape) How much does it cost? Please call FitDist Sports Ltd for the latest price list. A roll will last for about 10-20 applications, or about one to two months, depending on frequency and length of applications.